Sunday, October 26, 2014

Observation 1

In my first observation, I got my aquarium from the place they were stored. I then proceeded to take the lid and stand off of my aquarium and placed it under a microscope. I was very surprised when I saw new organisms in the aquarium. Further in my observation I started to identify the new organisms I found. These organisms are  Euplotes, and Ureocentrum. I then went on to take pictures of the organisms The plants in the aquarium look normal as they did when i set it up.

Euplotes- A common and wide-spread hypotrich ciliate. Euplotes have ventral cirri that help them move over a substrate. They have adoral zones of membranelles which are located on the front o the organism, that draw a current of water under the cell towards the cytosome. Suspended particles may be removed by the ciliate from the current.

Euplotes- Freeliving Fresh Water Protozoa, Figure 260





















Ureocentrum-  Freeliving Fresh Water Protozoa Figure 388
This genus behaves as spinning top. It has a tail that spins and attaches loosely to debris and spins around. Ureocentrum mostly feeds on suspended bacteria, and it is related to a Paramecium. Like most members of its genus it has trichocysts and a contractile vacuole with collecting canals.  











No comments:

Post a Comment